Sunday, June 21, 2009

Admiralty Island II

This was one of the best scenes I've ever had unfold right in my lap. For two and a half hours, my coworker Carl and I watched this sow try to coax her nervous little cubs into crossing the creek. The cubs wanted no part of it. Or should I say, one cub wanted no part of it, while the other was somewhat interested but a terrible swimmer. After a few tricks and a bit of coercion, and a lion's share of patience, mom got the two across the creek and into the woods on the other side of the estuary.


Inviting her cubs for a swim from the other side of the creek. The cubs are skeptical...


Safe, but a little razzled, on the other side of the creek. Two and a half hours later.


Biodensity!


Chocolate lillies doing what they do best: lookin' good whilst photosynthesizing.


A rufous hummingbird looking for a free lunch

No comments: