Thursday, May 7, 2009

Canadian Rockies

A few words I didn't expect to be among adjectives I would use to describe a national park in Canada: chic. sexy. cosmopolitan. high class. muy, muy carro!

However, If somebody demanded that I declare my preference for either Banff or Jasper, I would select Jasper 10 times out of 10. Unspeakably beautiful, wide open, slow paced, cozy. Among my favorite places I've been to, for sure. Except for the Wapiti Campground on the evening of May 6 when, as Casey described it, Party Cove set up camp next to us complete with tiki torches, ignorant drunks, Kid Rock screamin' out of the speakers, and copious amounts of hard liquor to help encourage the noisy situation..

I think this could be accepted as paradise

Hanging glaciers and snowy and blowy ridgelines along the Icefields Parkway.


As Casey and I sat next to Lake Louise (quite near this very spot) contemplating the derivative of X vs. Y, we heard an Australian shout come from the ice wall behind us. I looked up to see about 80 vertical feet of a 100 foot ice wall crashing down with serious momentum. The climber was hanging halfway on the ice and halfway on the recently exposed granite wall, while the belay man was standing not more than 20 feet from where the pile of icy debris landed. In his charismatic Aussie accent, the climber shouted to his partner, "That was fucking massive, eh?" and started snickering. A few minutes later the situation sunk in, and the climber became sufficiently frazzled... Good thing that sitting a few hundred feet below them were an ER doc (Casey), and a park ranger (yo soy un guardabosque, ahora...)


The morning view from a bootleg campsite in Banff, where we were roused in the middle of the night by a car doing doughnuts in the parking lot


A cold lakeshore where Casey and I shared one refreshing cold one and waxed philosophical about the following topics: girls.

No comments: