Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Southeast Alaska

Casey and I made our way over the White Pass from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory to Skagway. We stopped at the official tourism boundary between the Yukon and Alaska for a photo opportunity and a few declarative hoops and hollars indicating that we had finally made it after several dozen hours sitting on our cannisters in the Jeep. As we were stretching our limbs and preparing ourselves for an undeniably beautiful photograph in front of the Welcome to Alaska sign, a noisy, bulky, cock and balls motorcycle pulled off the highway next to us. A guy in a black leather jacket parked his bike, de-strattled it, and took a few steps to get a better view. Then he let out the most insignificant, infant-like cough you could ever stereotype. Almost as though he were apologizing for having a slight itch in his throat. It sounded as though it were equal parts pathetic sneeze, whimpy cough, and apology. Casey tried to maintain his composure, while I had a more difficult time and ultimately allowed my laughter to spew forth. I'm not sure if the motorbiker heard me laughing. But if he did, I'm not convinced he would have done anything about it...



The Lynn Canal and the Chilkat Range on a sunny spring afternoon


The Chilkat Range as seen from Point Bridget


Aforementioned beautiful photograph. And believe me, it felt as good taking the photograph as it does looking at it a few days later...

El Paso Blanco

If Joe Flannery were to describe this mountie, I'm sure among his descriptors you would find: Extra Long

No comments: