Monday, September 6, 2010

Accessible ridges

Just a few views from a couple of Denali's most accessible ridges. I took a nap on the first ridge and was indeed awakened by the clashing sounds of wind flapping my jacket against my face and a wolf howling to the north (or south, or east, I couldn't really tell with all that wind). Regardless, Primrose Ridge is a nice spot to catch a few z's in the warm August sun.


A big view from Primrose Ridge. I saw no mammalian activity from the ridge, but I did hear a wolf howling. I also noticed a super-sized storm fast approaching from the west, which is slightly visible in the right of this photo.



But all was sunny and warm on the eastern front.


However, the storm will always catch you and provide a free course in the varieties and characterizations of precipitation. This squall wasn't bad, as it mostly involved mists and light gusts of wind.



Yet when the squall passes, which is frequent to quite frequent in Denali, the patient are rewarded with technocolor! I sat around on one of many ridges extending high up Polychrome Mountain and absorbed the big views and cornucopia of color the passing precipitations provided.


The classic colors of Polychrome Mountain. I walked this ridge for a while before I set up camp and found a few costco-sized piles of wolf scat and more than one discarded hare foot. I had to pause on this golden ridge for a while to contemplate the colorful arc in front of me.

No comments: