Monday, September 6, 2010

Ungulates!

Strolling around in the foothills of the Alaska Range, I was moderately confident that I'd get to lay my eyes upon some hefty ungulates. Living in the rainforest, one develops an aesthetic craving for creatures other than bears and blacktail deer. My eyes were peeled for velvety protrusions in the willowed hillsides...

And sure enough, ol' caribou provided a free glance at his buns and rack. A sizeable set of antlers by any standard...



Navigating a moonscaped hillside, hoping to find his way toward some tasty greens.


A small group of caribou organizing a fraction of what will become a bigger winter herd. Caribou start congregating in early fall, and their group sizes grow as the cold season approaches. I perched upon a ridgeline by my lonesome late one night and watched a small herd of about forty of these charming ungulates slowly meander across the valley floor of the East Fork of the Toklat. A fine way to spend an August evening.



A large bull dressed in velvet loitering in good rutting habitat.


Two thousand pounds of herbivorous mammal on the move.


No comments: