Monday, September 6, 2010

Dall sheep

One of the primary reasons for establishing Mt. McKinley National Park was the preservation of Dall sheep habitat. There are quite a few enclaves of the white sheep throughout the region, including this good looking group.


A young ram posing confidently with a cheek full of chew.



Somebody must have told this ram a decent joke, as he appears to be struggling to keep a straight face.


The big boy of the group. Regal enough.



A little toothy.



Cheek to cheek. I wish I knew why some mammals display this behavior. I've seen sibling brown bears show similar behavior, but I do not understand its significance. I'm sure there are a few journals or excerpts on this behavior out there, but I haven't exactly looked hard for the material...


No comments: